About Me

My photo
I'm an Australian, based in the Washington, DC, area, with extensive experience in the US, UK/Europe and Australia. I have also lectured in IT and Law related topics at King's College, London, and at The Australian National University.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Chevrolet Cobalt has killed chivalry

Jasmine and I recently hired a car in Kansas City, Missouri, to drive to Topeka, Kansas. We chose a sensible Chevrolet Cobalt to get us there.

The Cobalt has a definite feel of having been built to a price. It does the job, but the finish is a bit rough.

It is, however, impossible to be chivalrous in a Cobalt. When I learned to drive, I was taught that it is polite to open the door for your passenger before getting into the vehicle yourself. But in this Chevrolet, that is never going to happen: the car not only lacks remote central locking, but does not even have a key hole on the passenger side exterior.

I wonder what it would have cost General Motors to add a keyed lock to the passenger door.

No comments: